Life is an interesting thing. You try to plan the way you want things to go and life decides otherwise. That's exactly what just recently happened to us and our original plans have gone straight out the window. To say that the last few days have been stressful would be a gross understatement. It has been an emotional roller coaster and one I hope I never have to experience again. On Tuesday the 12th of February Brandi had a c-section delivery and our little guy joined our family forever. To preface the event I need to you bring back to Friday the 8th of Feb. After already working 3 consecutive night shifts at the hospital, Brandi was informed that she was going to be called into work again on Friday night. When I first heard the news I was less than happy. I hadn't hardly seen her for several days and I was hoping that we would be able to hang out. During the first hour of her shift she mentioned to one of the nurses that she wasn't feeling very good. The nurse told her to go up to labor and delivery to get checked out. Labor and delivery checked her blood pressure and immediately admitted her. As most of you know, Brandi had developed a condition called preeclampsia during the pregnancy. Preeclampsia to put it shortly, is a high blood pressure condition that 5-8% of first time moms can get. It can be a very nasty and serious for both mom and the baby. Brandi gave us a couple of scares and we're so blessed and lucky we caught it when we did. My wife is the most amazing person I have ever known. In the last few days she has been through more than I could ever imagine and I love her more than anything in the world, and would confess to anyone that she's the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. She is my freaking hero. For me, the hardest thing so far has been playing the role of innocent bystander. I’ve wanted so bad to help any way I could, but have felt so helpless through a lot of the ordeal. I've never been so physically, emotionally and mentally exhausted in my entire life. Now a day later, Brandi is recovering slowly but surely and should be able to come home to me in 3-5 days. The thought of "what if she hadn't been called in?" has raced through my mind a thousand times. Her getting called in that night may very well have saved her life. Although this has been an extremely trying time, the blessings we have already received during the last week are too numerous to count.
On February 12, 2008 at 9:40 p.m. at just 28 weeks along, our little Dylan was brought into the world. He weighed in at 1 pound 14 ounces and 13 inches long. Brandi and I love him with all our hearts. We have been told that pre-term babies that have been in distress at any time during the pregnancy do better in the NICU than pre-term babies that hadn’t had to struggle. Our little Dylan had found himself in this very situation and because of that has proven to be a true fighter thus far. He seems to be progressing very well and although everything most likely will turn out just fine, there are a few things we will still have to watch for. It’s going to be an up and down journey and we’re hoping and praying for the best. Just hours after Dylan came into this world I remember looking at him in the new-born ICU and saying to the nurse “Now I got to worry about this little guy” and the nurse grined and said “Welcome to parenthood, you’ll be worrying about him for the rest of your life”. I just smiled, realizing she was absolutely correct. They say that parents should plan on having pre-term babies in the NICU until their due date. His is on May 6 so we'll see what happens. Words can not express how amazing it is to see a little guy his size yawn, sneeze, cry, and stretch. I just get so amped to see him every single day. He is such an awesome little boy and he's so cute.
After they stitched up Brandi from her c-section and enroute to her new recovery room, her nurses brought her up to the NICU so she could see Dylan. They raised and adjusted her bed so she could lean over and touch her little guy. What happened next was the greatest moment in my life. The very second she began to talk to him, Dylan’s eyebrows rose dramatically and he began to almost reach his little arms towards the voice. He had recognized his mommy’s voice and wanted to be with her. There were several of us standing by his bed and after we had seen what had just transpired we all looked up at each other with utter amazement. It was an absolutely incredible moment and I couldn't hold back the tears from streaming down my face.
We would like to thank our friends and family for the countless phone calls, text messages, prayers, fasting, faith, brought over dinners, flowers, and goodie bags. This really has been a humbling experience and it has been so awesome to see so much support from the people who we love so much. To quote the the words of one of our doctors "Your prayers are working"! Please continue to pray for Brandi and Dylan. Dylan has a bit of a journey ahead of him and we need all the help we can get.
Trust me when I say that seeing him in a picture doesn't fully do him justice. Seeing him in real life is total different experience. He is so tiny.
Here Dylan is wearing Daddy's wedding band.
We will have many more pictures soon!!!!
27 comments:
Hey Jeff and Brandi,
This is Annie Zachman Reagan...Michelle told me about you guys and I can't stop thinking about you all!! Your little boy is absolutely beautiful! You are all in our prayers and we hope all goes well!! No matter how big or small these little things are miracles and do wonders for ones life!
Love ya,
Annie
Your little guy is beautiful. It's amazing how tough these little guys can be. We haven't stopped praying for your little family. It looks like you've already seen the hand of the Lord in your life. We pray for future blessings. We can't wait to see more pictures and watch him grow. Good job Brandi for hanging in their during all those rough days.
Dylan is such a stud. We are so glad to hear that both Brandi and him are doing well right now. Brandi, you are amazing... I can't even imagine what you've had to go through the last few days- you are so tough. We love you guys and want you to know that we're praying for you.
We love you guys. We wish we were closer so we could help out more, but we are praying for you (even Rylee is). Hang in there.
Scott and Heather
Hey Jeff and Brandy!
Leslie and I have been praying for you and little Dylan and we will continue to do so. We love you all and know that everything will be ok. He is so tiny! We love your blog. Let us know if there is anything that we can do for you!
All our love,
Karl and Leslie
Hey Jeff & Brandi,
Your little baby boy is beautiful! I'm so happy for you two. When our twins were born they were in the NICU for a little while & I will tell you they care for those babies like they are their own. I always felt safe leaving them each night. You are in our prayers and we are so happy for you!
Love, Jill Claybaugh Bastian
You're in my prayers! Thanks for the pictures. He looks like an amazing little guy.
Hey guys,
Wow, we can't even believe what you've been through the last couple days. Your little guy is truly a miracle. We are keeping you in our prayers. And I couldn't help but cry from your story about Dylan recognizing his mom's voice - that is so neat! Hang in there!
-Leslie and Ryan
He is adoreable! You guys are in our thoughts and prayers! We love you so much and wish only the best for your family! Babies are TOUGH! Baby Dylan will be rollin' around like Cannon in no time! Please let us know if we can do anything for you! CONGRATS on the new arrival!!!
Love,
Brandon and Rachel
Congrats on your little angel! He is so darling. Little Dylan is so lucky to have such wonderful parents. Thanks for doing this amazing post- I got tears in my eyes reading about Dylan responding to his mommy's voice. We have been praying for your little family of three and will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
I'm crying right now. He is beautiful. What a touching post, thanks for keeping us updated. I'll definately keep praying for you all.
hey jeff- i'm your mom's friend. we all just looked at your blog & saw all of the pictures of dylan. (i also helped your mom bookmark your blog) i've been thinking about you guys a lot the last few days - i know we've only met once or twice, but i just wanted you to know my prayers are with you, brandi & dylan. i loved the story about dylan hearing his momma's voice. and i love the picture of him wearing your ring. oh my goodness! good luck to you!
jeff and brandi-hey jeff it is shauna pond (christensen) from high school!! I found your blog through some other friends and i am soo excited to be able to hear about you and your wife and your new little family. I just wanted to say that your blog touched me soo much. Your little Dylan is a true fighter!!
i wanted to say how excited i am for you to be a dad and how excited i am for your wife and this new chapter in your life. You guys have been through soo much these last few days and will continue to go through soo much these next few weeks and months, and i wanted to let you know you are in our prayers. hang in there...tell your wife what an amazing women she is!!!shauna
You are both amazing new parents!! I can sympathize with you just a tiny with Makaiya 5 weeks early. We too were blessed and only had to be in the NICU 3 days, so I am sure it is even so much harder for you. I hated that feeling of not being able to hold or comfort your baby when thats all you would need to heal yourself from the emotional rollercoaster. Its such a hard and scary time, but with all the fasting and prayers miracles will continue to happen and you will be blessed!! Keep positive and have faith...the Lord is so merciful and kind!! Good Luck!! Thanks for the emotional post keep us all updated!! We love you and you are in our thoughts and prayers ALWAYS!!
Hi Jeff. This is Natalie (Lunt) Bate. Sara informed me of what was going on and I just wanted to say hello. WOW, is all I can say. Dylan is BEAUTIFUL. He truly is an absolute miracle. I can't even imagine the culmination of emotions all of you have been through. Brandi is incredible and I'm so glad she's doing okay. I broke down when I read the story about Dylan responding to his mommy's voice. What a special moment! I hope and pray that all goes well. Hang in there.
We have been thinking about you and praying for you! It is so crazy to think we were do less than two weeks apart. How beautiful is he though! We are so glad things turned out good!
Clements Family
These have been a rough couple of months for our family! We hope you know how much we all love you and are praying for you. We are in Provo right now, so let us know if we can be of any help. Jeff - Your mom has my number! Don't hesitate to call for anything! Love you guys!
Emily, Shaun, and Maisey Grimmett
*By the way, being a parent is incredible! You will have such an amazing outlook on life. Congrats to you, your little boy is precious. He is lucky to have you both as parents!
That is incredible, I was seriously crying. We are thinking of you guys a lot, and praying for you! Keep this updated, it is amazing story, he is so cute!!!
Rhett and Nichole
Hi Jeff and Brandi,
Your little guy is so amazing, and you are both so strong. Are thoughts and prayers are with you everyday. If there is anything we can do let us know. Just reading your blog brings tears to my eyes.
Love Ben and Katie Gehrke
Brandi, I was just checking up on your blog and I've been on vacation so I haven't been at work and I couldn't believe that you had Dylan. Wow, the things life throws at us. He is beautiful and it sounds like you guys are hanging in there. We'll be praying for you and little Dylan. Keep the updates coming and let me know if I can do anything. Love, Adrienne
What incredible parents the two of you are! You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. I hope all continues to go smoothly. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you and your sweet family.
Jeff and Brandi,
We have been fasting and praying for you. The pictures are incredible. Dylan looks great. I can't believe how tiny he is. I love your blog. Keep us up to date. Thinking of you,
John & Amy
He is adorable. I am so glad that so far he si doing well, and that you are doing well too Brand. What a little stud he has been being so strong! We are thinking about you guys and praying for all of you.
Jeff and Brandi -
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your amazing little baby Dylan.
Kelly and Stephanie Sobotka and Family
Hey Brandi,
This is Ashley Ottley from high school. I saw your blog from Maire's. I just wanted to tell you my thoughts and prayers are with you as you and your family are going through all this. I know your an amazing person and the Lord will take care of you and your new sweet baby. He's beautiful! I was crying reading the sweet story of him knowing your voice. We'll be praying for you!
Oh Brandi... he is so amazing. What a strong little man you have. I also loved the story of him hearing your voice. It brought tears to my eyes. You two are going to be such great parents! Thank you so much for keeping us updated. You are in our prayers.
Love Marianne & Jathan!
Hey, Its Amera Leach, Jarvis.
wow, I look at your blog every now and then because you guys are so cute. Dylan is such a trooper all because he knows his parents love him and will carry him through life. Kids grow and develop the best when they have all the love in the world from thier parents and I dont doubt for 2 seconds that thats why Dillon is such a strong little guy. What a great team the 3 of you make. He is gorgeous you guys. Hope things continue to march upward and onward. He is such a beautiful addition to your family. Good luck!! What a beautiful blessing.
Post a Comment