Sunday, May 18, 2008

Surgery, 6 lbs, Coming home soon!

It has been a busy few days and this is a long post. Dylan had surgery on Thursday. My poor baby! He did awesome though. They fixed both hernias and also circumcised him while he was under anesthesia. Dylan knew something was going on the whole morning. First of all he couldn't eat and he was not thrilled about that whole situation. Second...he was not too keen on being intubated and put back on a ventilator. It took the Respiratory Therapist quite some time to get the breathing tube in. He was not cooperating even with some sedation on board! And third, he had to have 2 IV's. Of course he ended up with one in his head. He has giant veins in his little bald head that scream at the nurses. They simply can't resist. We've all decided that he's too smart for his britches. They pretty much had to tie down his arms so he wouldn't pull on anything. When we were wheeling him down to the Operating Room he was just looking around everywhere. He has only been out of his little room 2 times in his life and he knew something was up. He came off the ventilator 2 hours after surgery. His little voice was so hoarse. His cry was really so sad, you could hardly hear it. All in all he did great he just doesn't really appreciate his diaper being changed. I imagine it is quite sore. On top of all of that he just received his immunizations. Thank heavens for Tylenol.



So now for the other good news...Dylan reached 6 lbs on Wednesday the 14th! He is pretty much like a normal baby now. Some of his preemie clothes are even getting a little too snug on him! I tribute his amazing growth to me...the dairy cow. He pretty much eats milk shakes all day long. Thank you to my mom (Who I could absolutely not live without) who helped me clean out my deep freezer and organize my milk so that I could shut the lid. We pretty much can't buy anything that has to be frozen because the freezers are full. You all should start cleaning out your freezers because I may just start showing up on your doorstep with bags of milk! Its all good though...I'll just use it in his cereal until he is 5! JK!

We are preparing to come home! We are set to be out the hospital doors on Tuesday!!!!!! We are thrilled to be bringing Dylan home. We are in the process of getting trained on the feeding tube equipment and monitors that we will be going home with. Jeff doesn't want to learn to put a feeding tube in Dylan. So I say...I guess I'll never go back to work! HAHA I wish!

Have I mentioned that I LOVE being a mother. It is so amazing. I had a great mothers day last week. Dylan made me a card. Which was so cute! (The nurses are so great! Thank you). Jeff surprised me with a Kitchen Aid. The red one that I have been wanting for a long time. Thanks honey I love you so much. We spent a lot of time with our families and talked to Mark. We are excited for him to come home in a few months. Thanks to all of the Mothers in our lives. A special thanks to my mom who has been with me through everything in my life and I know is my #1 fan. I could have not made it through the last few months without her. Thanks Mom, I love you!

Last year before my Grandma passed away.

10 comments:

Beck said...

You look gorgeous in that picture and Dylan looks so fat. He is getting some serious chub. Im so excited you get to bring him home. Hope it all goes well and please let me know if you need ANYTHING!!
Love you~!!

Camille said...

We are so happy for you guys! I'm glad that everything is going good. We want to come visit you when cute Dylan comes home. Let us know! I'm glad that you love being a mom! It is the best!

Jared and Camille

The Grimmett's said...

Yay for Tuesday! I hope all goes well. 6 lbs is a pretty good size! That's awesome that he is growing so well. Good luck with everything! Can't wait to hear how it all goes!

Clements Family said...

That is so exciting! I have been waiting to here when he gets to come home! Congrats!

The Moore Family said...

We are so glad the surgery went well and that Dylan is coming home soon. He is so cute and gettting so big.
Sam and Kendra

bkjones said...

That is so exciting that you finally get to take him home! He is looking so cute and chubby. I am so glad that the surgery went well. Please let me know if I can do ANYTHING!! (even if it is just storing your milk in our fridge!)

Lynn said...

hey brandi, love the pics of dylan! he's ADORABLE and i'm so glad everything is going well and i'm SO excited you get to take him home tomorrow! what a celebration!

Calie and Dave said...

I am so excited for you that you get to take your little guy home tomorrow! I am going to miss you so much at work, but know that you will be having way more fun being home with Dylan.

crazymamma said...

Hey jeff and brandi- This is shauna again..i went to highschool with jeff and played soccer with michelle! I just wanted to say how happy i am for you guys! What a few months you two have been through. I want to tell you how much i admire your guys strength and faith through all of this. I read your blog regularly to see how little dylan is doing and it brings a smile to my face every time i see him. My boys also love to look at your blog over and over!! He is adorable and he has gotten soo cute and he has some of the cutest chub ever! This little miracle is going to go home to two very awesome parents who love him more than anything! What a fun day for you two on tuesday! COngrats again, i cant wait to read about his first night at home with his mommy and daddy!!! YEAH!!!

Lindsey Shaun Christensen said...

He has grown so much and looks so healthy! I am so happy that things have worked out and are okay. Brandi you told me how hard this was for you and I can almost bet a million bucks on it that it was all worth it at this point (or at least will be soon :))? You guys are great. Love ya!