Over the course of the last 2 days the words "I can't believe he's actually home" have spilled from our mouths numerous times. 99 days really is a very long time. I know it may sound crazy, but although we were beyond excited to come home it was a little bit sad leaving the hospital. Obviously we got over it pretty quick, but it was hard leaving some of the people who have spent so much time, effort, and love into helping our little boy get better and grow. He was a much loved little boy in that hospital and that fact was very evident as we made our last walk through the NICU doors. The entire NICU staff got together as we were leaving to say their final goodbyes to Dylan. We saw a few tears from a couple of his nurses, respiratory therapists, and neo-netalogists. That place will always have a special place in our hearts. We know some of the NICU staff reads this blog so we would like to take this opportunity to say thank you again for all the love you have all shown us.
As you know, Dylan is off oxygen, but still has a feeding tube. During the night for the first couple months he will wear a heart and lung monitor. It's just a pre-cautionary thing they do for the majority of preemies when they come home. The night before we took him home we had to sleep over at the hospital to make sure all the equipment worked properly. It was our first family camp-out in our own room. Dylan was a good boy, but wasn't too interested in sleeping. He didn't cry, but made little grunting and snorting noises. The result was a very sleep deprived Mommy and Daddy as they spent most of the night rocking, singing, and telling him stories.
But I'll tell you what, he sure love to sleep/nap on his Mommy and Daddy's chests.
This whole thing seems so surreal. He has been under such a watchful eye for so long and then all of a sudden they hand him to us and say "well he's all yours, good luck". It feels a little overwhelming, but we're excited to get him home and see him continue to progress. He still is having a few issues with eating. They say he's volume dependent and is too comfortable with smaller amounts of volume. We've been instructed to do stretches everyday to help his tummy. Please pray for Dylan to get better at eating.
We love our little boy with all our hearts and feel so lucky to have him in our lives. We realize that we still have hurdles to clear, but the Lord has blessed us already so much through our trials and we know that everything will work out.
16 comments:
Congrats on baby Dylan's homecoming! That is so wonderful! I remember the intimidation of taking our baby home and being completely responsible for him. I can only imagine the weight you guys feel with his monitors, feeding tubes, etc. You two are such amazing parents and Dylan is in the best hands with you. Enjoy this incredible time, despite its challenges. Congrats again! He's adorable!
How wonderful to have your little baby home with you! He will be in our prayers! We wish you the best! You guys are so strong and amazing! We look up to you so much!
Jared and camille
Yay!!! We are so glad he is home. We will continue to pray for that precious little boy of yours.
hey i'm so happy for you guys. He's finally HOME!!! hope all is well. So brandi when do you plan to come back to work? I have 6 weeks to go until my due date!
We hope you are doing well. It's great to have them at home. The hospital is a great place, especially seeing how well they treated Dylan, but there is nothing like having everyone at home finally.
Yea! Congrats! I am so happy for you guys! That is so nice to have your little man home with you!
OH MY GOSH!!! I am bawling right now. I love you guys so much. I am so happy that things have gone well considering all the mountians you have had to climb. I love little D so much. I am so lucky to be a part of his life. He has been a blessing to our whole family. I miss you all like crazy and am counting down the days till we can come see you!!!!
We are so excited for you guys. He looks so cute in the car seat. We will keep him in our prayers. We love you guys so much.
Welcome home baby Dylan! I bet those sleepless nights are a lot more exciting to you both then they are to any new parent! Good luck with everything!
Oh by the way, Shaun's bro just got his mission call to Tampico, Mexico! Mark and him will miss each other though because he doesn't go into the M.T.C. until end of August! Anyway... kind of fun!
I am so, so, so excited for you! He just looks absolutely adorable! You will do awesome wth all of his medical gear. He is such a lucky baby to have his own personal Respitory Therapist at home. I want to come and see him and you, of course. Is that allowed? I'll call you soon.
I am so excited for you both! Congratulations on bringing Dylan home. Its been a long ride for you! He's growing so big and getting so cute! Good luck as new parents on your own! I'm sure he will be eating well in no time.... :) I'll keep you in my prayers!
Yea!! Congrats on the biggest step yet!! We love you and are so happy that he's home!! Thanks again for coming to George's dad's viewing that meant a lot to the both of us.
What a sigh of relief! He looks just like his daddy. And I have to say that I think one of the best things about newborns is that they love to sleep on your chest, I could do that all day long!
How fun! We are so happy to hear that he got to come home. He is so cute and we are so excited for you! We will keep you in our prayers. COngrats!
Sue just told us about the eye surgery tonight! Good luck and we hope all goes well!
Post a Comment